Saturday, February 19, 2011

Blast in the past


I was quite annoyed yesterday when I heard the radio jockey on the local FM station repeat in “todays world cup match” a few times… A bad cold didn’t help. “Ids toborrow, you fwool”, I blurted out to the radio, piqued. That’s when my husband pointed out. They were reenacting India’s world cup triumph of 1983. So for one day, Radio Mango, Calicut took on a retro hue. They played music from that year, talked about movies that released in 83’. The news snippets were dug out from the archives of June 25th 1983 as also the gold and oil prices. Commercials sounded like they were created in the 80’s as well. A time when LPG Gas cylinder was a novelty, black and white TVs were a luxury, even though color TVS had come. You bought petrol at 6 Rs a liter, and diesel at 3 Rs. Gold cost the father of the bride, 1392 Rs for 10 gms. And of course in between, they relayed cricket updates of the final played at Lords’ on that memorable day. Like it was all happening ‘live’. Lying on the bed, recuperating from my congestion, I was impressed. What a wonderful idea. They paid a fantastic tribute to India’s world cup glory and took us all into the past to re-live the special moment. I was only 6 at that time, and had just started my second year at school! So I cannot remember a thing. But thanks to this novel idea it was like being transported on a time machine to witness one of India’s greatest Sporting achievements.

4 comments:

anilkurup59 said...

I did not hook on to the FM. But indeed it is some effort to reinvent the bygone day.

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Gone are the days, though I don’t remember anything about the 1983 triumph, I had the fixture of the 1987 Reliance World Cup. In the 90’s any cricket match in any part of the world was awaited with great enthusiasm. The arrival of World Cup was like a carnival in the neighbourhood, but these days I don’t watch it at all.

“Ids toborrow, you fwool”, that’s a good one, I like it. Get well soon.

Balachandran V said...

Though one gets fed up with the re and re and replays of 1983 victory, this total re-enactment must have been interesting.
1983! I was 25 then!

It was funny how correctly you verbalised your 'cold' accent! :D

Arjun said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - bring back the 80's! See, we even won the world cup back then! ;)

What is it about growing older that has some of us looking back at the past and pining for the "good ol' days"? Nostalgia certainly but there's something else too although I can't quite put my finger on it...

Oh well.